Here are some great alternative songs about being lonely, feeling lonely in a relationship or overcoming loneliness. This list is for the times you are not feeling your best and need some songs to help you through.
- Alternative Rock – Ball Park Music – Sad Rude Future Dude
Despite it’s cheerful melody, this song is quite sad. The singer seems quite lonely. He doesn’t like talking to his family. He hasn’t had a friend in years. He doesn’t know where it went, but all his love is gone.
- Alternative Metal – HIM – Killing Loneliness
This song, as the name suggests, is about overcoming loneliness with the help of a friend. It was written for a friend of the band who had overcome a drug addiction.
- Alternative Rock – Idlewild – Love Steals Us From Loneliness
To me, this song is about being in a relationship that causes you to be even lonelier than you would be on your own. It is about the sort of relationship where you grow apart from close friends so you can spend more time with this person, when really this is making you unhappy.
- Indie Rock – Glasvegas – A Snowflake Fell (And It Felt Like A Kiss)
This song talks about feeling extremely lost and alone, then taking pleasure in nature’s wonders and forgetting one’s troubles at least for a while.
- Pop Punk – Millencolin – The Ballad
This is a typical story of an unpopular boy at highschool. He doesn’t get selected for the game. He has no date for the prom. No one really knows who he is or what he’s going through.
- Alternative Rock – Ben Harper – Another Lonely Day
After a painful break up, the singer finds himself alone. He admits that it wouldn’t have worked out anyway, or that it may work later, under different circumstances. But right now, it’s just another lonely day.
- Alternative Rock – Radiohead – Creep
If you’re looking for a sad song about not getting the girl or feeling like you don’t belong, you cannot go past this classic.
- Alternative Metal – System of A Down – Lonely Day
This is a sad song about the most loneliest day of one’s life. It’s melancholic, soft style is not what I would typically expect from system of a down.
- Indie Rock – Philadelphia Grand Jury – Going To The Casino (Tomorrow Night)
This could easily be a happy song about going out. However, a fair way into the song, the singer admits: “And then it hits me that there’s no one in love with me”.
- Garage Rock – Black Keys – Lonely Boy
The lyrics of this song do not match the happy melody. This song tells the story of a boy who is in love with a girl. However, she does not treat him nicely and breaks his heart.