If you are looking for some non-traditional or alternative Christmas songs, look no further. For various reasons, these are definitely not the songs you would play when the whole family is gathered. However, they could be just what you need to get you pumped this holiday season.
- Hard Rock – The Darkness – Christmas Time (Don’t Let The Bells End)
This song takes all the important parts of Christmas, bells, Santa Claus, festivities and a choir of school children, and mixes them seamlessly with Justin Hawkins’ falsettos.
- Pop Punk – Blink 182 – I Won’t Be Home For Christmas
This is probably not the most polite song to play at the Christmas family reunion. However, it is a classic Blink 182 song and a personal favourite of mine.
- Alternative Rock – The Killers – Don’t Shoot Me Santa
My first thoughts when hearing this song were … “What the..?” But this is a light hearted song with a really catchy chorus; great video clip also.
- Rock – The Dairy Brothers – Naked Christmas
This is another song best left out of the “Christmas Family Reunion Playlist”, but definitely well worth a listen. This four-piece rock band from Adelaide, South Australia formed in 2003, armed with a killer rock sound and light hearted lyrics.
- Punk Rock – Sex Pistols – Punk Rock Christmas
The Santa Claus always freaks me out in this song when he asks: “And what do you want for Christmas little boy?”
- Alternative Rock – Weezer – Christmas With Weezer
Weezer have recorded a whole album of traditional Christmas carols such as “We Wish You A Merry Christmas” and “Silent Night”. I found it all but impossible to only pick one song. This album is even one you could share with the family.
- Indie Rock – The Wombats – Is This Christmas?
Although this is a great song, it is a bit more serious than others mentioned in this list. It poses the question: “What happened to the Christmas festive cheer?”
- Punk Rock – MXPX – Punk Rawk Christmas
This is the song from the album of the same name. The album is a collection of original, sincere and positive songs about the joys of Christmas.
- Pop Punk – Simple Plan – Christmas List
This is a cute song that highlights how, sometimes at Christmas, we get a little too caught up in wanting and spending.
- Alternative Rock – Jimmy Eat World – 12.23.95
This is a sad song about wishing a “Merry Christmas” to someone you may have left behind this year.
- Gothic/Ethereal – This Ascension – Carol of the bells
This is the most beautifully yet haunting version of this carol I have ever heard. Cindy Coulter’s vocals seem to work perfectly here.