Songs About Australia – The Best-Known List
This is a list of the most well known songs about Australia. There are songs that describe the amazing landscape and culture and some songs that narrate some history.
- Country Folk – Waltzing Matilda
This is probably the best known Australian country folk song, the words to which were written in 1895 by Banjo Patterson. It is the story of an itinerant worker who steals a sheep, gets caught and sentenced to hanging. Instead he commits suicide and then haunts the site where he was caught for ever more.
- Paul Allen – I Still Call Australia HomeBecause of a certain airline company, this could well be the best known song about Australia.
- Rock – Great Southern Land – IcehouseThis song describes some of the wonderful landscapes found in Australia.
- Pop – Christine Anu – My Island Home
This song is the story of one’s love affair with the Australian coastline, despite living in the city.
- Rock – Men At Work – Land Down Under
With references to the ‘fried out combie’ and ‘vegemite sandwiches’, this song really captures one man’s adventures travelling through Australia.
- Australian Rock – Paul Kelly – From Little Things Big Things Grow
This was a protest song, based on the story of the Gurindji Strike and Vincent Lingiari as part of the Indigenous Australians’ struggle for land rights and reconciliation.
- Indigenous Music/Rock – Yothu Yindi – Treaty
This song was written with the intention of highlighting the lack of progress on a promised treaty between Aboriginal people and the federal government in the early nineties.